Monday, January 25, 2010

The Hidden Fortress (1958), Dir: Akira Kurosawa

I have to admit, I’m a bit of a Kurosawa fanatic. The first time I attempted to watch The Seven Samurai, I couldn’t keep my eyes open. But after that abbreviated viewing it has been nothing but love. While, at this point I’ve probably seen 80% of Kurosawa’s films, I’d yet to watch The Hidden Fortress. The Hidden Fortress did not disappoint. A meditation upon the nature of what is seen/remains unseen, Kurosawa brilliantly intertwines shots of specter-like beings emerging from darkness and fog with ever shifting character and perception.

Sadly, the only embeddable trailer I’ve found is in Japanese, but it still gives a good sense of the grandiosity and beauty of Kurosawa’s filmmaking:

However, you can view an English version here.

Rating: 10/10

Genre: Foreign/Drama

Length: 139 min.

*I had some brilliant stills captured of such things, but Microsoft automatic downloads seem to have become my new nemesis . . . Dear Microsoft, there is nothing more aggravating to night owls than to step away from their computer for a few moments only to find out that their computers have helpfully rebooted to install new updates and what they had been working on is unrecoverable because they had been in the process of overwriting files. I desperately need to change the automatic update setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment