Sunday, January 3, 2010

Good Fortune

Last year my intentions were admirable. I bought black eyed peas and collards determined good fortune would be mine, but I was lazy and, possibly, hungover (because ringing in the new year with Clint Eastwood and a quart of paint is a wild affair). So, if memory serves, I went with deep fried tofu, peanut and avocado fried rice to re-establish bodily harmony and it was days before I finally got to those black eyed peas. Now, as I write this, I am currently unemployed. I decided this was not the year not to further tempt fate. This January 1 I dutifully prepared my black eyed peas and collards for breakfast. These Good Fortune Breakfast Links might not really usher in a sunnier financial situation, but at least they're tasty.*

Good Fortune Breakfast Links

Good Fortune Breakfast Links

Serves 4 for breakfast (or a very hungry 2 for brunch)

Preheat Oven to 350.

Wet ingredients:

2 tbsps. ketchup

2 tbsps. maple syrup

1 tbsp. Braggs liquid amino’s

1 tbsp. apple cidar vinegar

A few drops liquid smoke

1 pinch fennel seeds

1 tsp. onion powder

2 tsps. brown mustard

Mix well and let sit while preparing dry ingredients.

“Dry” ingredients:

1 15 oz. can of black eyed peas, mashed with fork or potato masher

½ c. of walnuts (or pecans), ground fine

1 c. cooked brown rice

½ c. flour (I used the Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Blend)

2 tsps. seafood seasoning

Mix well then add one half of the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Scoop approximately 1 tbsp of mix into your hands and roll into a link-like shape. Baste the links with some of remaining wet ingredients and bake for 15 minutes. Flip links, baste with the remainder of wet ingredients and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Makes 14-16 links.

* Incidentally, as is, the current recipe is definitely vegan crunchy. Beans + grain in either a loaf, patty or link form is old school. I do have ideas as to how to produce a less granola version of the breakfast link without the gluten, but it involves more preparation than I could muster post- New Year's Eve revelry. Experimentation with a cheesecloth casing and steaming to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment