Sunday, January 3, 2010

Book Awards Reading Challenge

Ten months. Ten books. Ten awards. Some of the books I've chosen are by authors that have been strongly recommended to me by friends through the years (Le Guin and Gaiman, to name a few). Others were recommended after much training by Amazon and have been resting in my "to read" pile. Out Stealing Horses is one I started last year but found I wasn't in the right head for it so put it down after a couple of chapters. I'm hoping it will be this year's One Hundred Years of Solitude. Would you believe the first time I attempted to read that book I had to put it down after a chapter or so because I just couldn't get into it, yet the second time I tried to read it I finished it in a day because I couldn't put it down? In the spirit of some books being mood dependent I'm going to try Petterson's book again and hope for the best.

Nebula Award (2008): Powers by Ursula K. Le Guin

Independent Foreign Fiction Prize (2006): Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

Man Booker Prize (2008): The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Pulitzer Prize (2008): The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Kiriyama Prize (2007): Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami

Newbery Award (2009): The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Hugo Award (2002): American Gods by Neil Gaiman

World Fantasy Award (2005): Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

IMPAC Dublin (2004): The Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar Ben Jelloun

Eisner Award (2007): American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang



No comments:

Post a Comment